Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thurston Considers Code Switching

THURSTON A WALLABY?


Johnathan Thurston has rocked the NRL this morning with a statement that will have the ARU licking their lips. I consider Thurston to be the world's best rugby league player so it would be devastating for the NRL to lose a player of his calibre. He puts bums on seats and is a key player in the NRL's marketing campaign. Thurston this morning said "I could easily see myself being a Wallaby". I'm guessing David Gallop is shitting himself right about now. Rugby Union have so much more money then the NRL. Right now Johnno could be playing in the Japanese League for $1.1 million a season. How can the NRL compete with that? The new Melbourne Super 15 team will be sending out a blank cheque! Any chance to lure a new face to the code that has the potential to be a superstar.

The problem with this situation is that Thurston's two good mates Mark Gasnier and Sonny Bill Willams have both left to go and play Union. This will not work in the NRL's favour as I'm sure they will be trying to convince him to join them. They will tell him of the perks of such great money, the travelling, and the chance to show your skill on the World stage more often than the Kangaroos ever do. What ever decision Thurston makes I will follow, but I really hope he stays with League. The NRL needs him, if only they had the money to keep him here. They are losing to many big name players. In a couple of years there will be none left!

2 comments:

  1. I hate how sport is all about money now, what ever happened to playing for the love of the game. I understand these guys have to support themselves and their families but honestly what ever happened to loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh, your knowledge is kinda extraordinary. I try to cover as many sports as possible, but then you slam it with rugby. Dagg

    ReplyDelete