Monday, July 11, 2011

MING YAO...A GREAT???

Since the news of Ming Yao's retirement plans there has been much talk of him being one of the games greats. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I think one of the main reasons for this nonsense is to keep the Chinese fans involved in the game and keep the NBA big in China.

If we consider Ming as a NBA great we are placing him with the likes of Ewing, Olajuwon, Kareem and Shaq. That's just to name a few who plays in his position. I'm sorry but he just didn't showcase enough to be in this company. Don't get me wrong, for somebody his size he had incredible touch and a good sense for the game. He was an 8 Time NBA All Star but never once made the NBA First Team in his career. The only reason he made most of those NBA All Star Teams was because of his country men and women voting by the 100s of 1000s. I think one or two of those years he hadn't even played a game and he was the highest voted center. What sort of joke is that?

His stats over his first few seasons were good. Rookie season he averaged 13 points and 8 rebounds. His second year 17 points and 9 rebounds and the Rockets got knocked out of the playoffs by the Lakers in the first round where he averaged 15 and 7. From 2005 to 2011 Ming suffered injury after injury and the Rockets never got passed the 2nd Round of the playoffs.

Many people may disagree with what I am saying, that's fine. But I am just sick of people placing him within the wrong group of people. I think if Ming was healthy throughout his NBA career things may have been different. The problem is...he wasn't. I think the NBA is being blatantly obvious to keep their ties with China under a strong grip by making Ming an NBA great.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think he ever reached his best. But he did his job well which was promoting the sport in China.

    Was he one of the games greatest players? No. But was he one of the games greatest promoters? Yes.

    ReplyDelete