Monday, April 5, 2010

TOVEY QUITS NBL FOR CAREER IN ACCOUNTING

CROCS PUZZLED AS TOVEY EXITS

Young Crocs star, Cameron Tovey, has chosen to retire from the NBL to pursue his accounting career in Perth. I've played against Cam many times in my basketball career, and he is easily one of the toughest guys I've had to guard. I remember being taken to school in a semi final a few years back. It's disappointing to see him leave at such a young age, but I'm not surprised. At 24/25 years of age, Toves could be earning more in accounting than what the Crocs would be paying him. Some people must be saying, "Accounting, how boring?"I sure am. I did some accounting subjects at uni. I preferred watching the grass grow outside the classroom window then listening to a teacher talk credits and debits.  

I wish him the best of luck in his endeavors. I definitely think he had his best basketball ahead of him. It was great to see him grow from not playing much in Perth to learning a lot at the Kings, to progressing on to being a starter with the Crocs. 

The NBL must try and get these young guys some more cash, otherwise we may see more of this. The guys coming back from College all have degrees. I know sometimes it is for the love of the game, but damn, when I was a development player I got paid nothing. It's not worth it.  Up the minimum contract and pay some of these guys what they deserve.

On other Crocs news, Rolan Roberts has been let go by the club. He didn't have the greatest of years, but I'm sure he will be picked up by another club. In the right mindset, Rolan is one of the toughest imports I've seen play in the NBL.

2 comments:

  1. If there is no incentive to play then this is going to happen more and more each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be surprised either. There are only a few youngsters who could say that their basketball careers would be paying more than a full time working career.

    ReplyDelete