Tuesday, February 23, 2010

TimeOut With Tim

Q and A with Tim Coenraad

Game one of the NBL Finals Series at home in front of a near capacity Win Entertainment Centre, how was your nerves, not having experienced anything quite like this?

The nerves were a little bit up there, I sort of came out a little complacent but it didn’t matter because I had another four guys on the court that were really doing well. It seemed we were really flowing out there. We had a really good first finals game. It was kind of good to get a game where everyone is firing, so I can kind of settle in a little bit. I know it’s going to be a lot different up there in Townsville with the crowd against us.

After watching Townsville go down to Perth in the last regular season match, giving the Hawks a home semi final, what was the feeling like in the camp at training the next day?


I guess there was a bit more positivity, knowing that we got home court advantage. There’s no secret to it with our road record nowhere near as good as our home record. It gives us confidence knowing that we are definitely going to get two games at home.


It has been a dream season for the Hawks in 2009/10, what do you think are the reasons for such a successful season?


I believe our group has gelled really well. I’m pretty sure we have got the best team chemistry in the league. When you look at our team we don’t have guys that are putting up 20 a game at the moment. We had Ty McKee at the start of the season and it was unfortunate that he went down. But right now we have got a nice spread of scorers, veterans that provide great leadership and Larry Davidson’s been amazing this whole campaign. He is definitely the most improved player in the NBL this season. Most importantly we play together, share the ball and play team defence.


Your club is promoting you as the Rookie of the Year for this season, what can you put that down too?


The lack of rookies in the league. (Laughs) Wagstaff from Perth has also had a great season. I am a bloke that works as hard I can. Before and after practice I get extra shots up. Gordie McLeod has given me a great opportunity. There are a lot of guys in my situation that wouldn’t be seeing as much court time as I’m getting. I get to back up two of the most all round players in the game, Matt Campbell and Glen Saville, so I’m learning plenty and at the same time getting some burn and some court time.


How is Gordie McLeod approaching the finals series, has he been any different to what he was during the regular season?


Nothing has really changed; we are going to stick with a working formula. We got here one way and our record shows for it. The only thing that has been said is that we got to lift to playoff intensity.


How has it been playing with inspirational skipper Matt Campbell? Has he given the team that extra drive needed to push you guys through to the finals after Tywain McKee got injured?


He is definitely a big contributor to the team and obviously he is the saviour around here. He is the reason why we are all playing. That’s definitely inspiration in itself. He himself wanted to save the club, he has played here his whole career, and he has gone out there and put it on his shoulders to make sure that we and I have a job.


Playing such a key role off the bench for the Hawks, how are you going to establish yourself in the finals series?


Gordie always tells us when we come in to be aggressive. This is a chance to cement ourselves during the finals. I definitely can’t be taking a step backwards. So I’ll be continuing the stay aggressive in the right spots. I want to really pick up on my defence; I feel my defence for the last couple of games has been a bit lacklustre so I really want to step up on that end of the floor.


Do you feel like you’re living in a fairy tale or don’t you believe in anything like that?


I’m not going to lie it does feel like that, but we have a great group. Practices are competitive and fun and we are getting to do what we love for a living. The team has come together, we get second place, then I can’t really expect more for my first season in the league. I’m not satisfied by any chance, especially when you get to this point of the season. One up in a best of three series and we have got a chance to make the NBL Finals. There is no time to sit back and think this is amazing, you got to keep pressing forward.


The belief in the camp must be sky high; do you feel the Wollongong Hawks have what it takes to win the NBL Championship?


We know we have what it takes; it’s just going to come down to performing away from our home court. Because when we play team basketball we feel like there is no one who can beat us. We do play best when we are at home, everybody does. When we play team basketball and we’re helping each other out on defence it gives us great confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment