Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How Records Are Tarnished By The Use Of Drugs

1998 HOME RUN RECORD 70*


Mark McGwire has admitted today that he used steroids during the 1998 season when he smashed the Home Run record. It was a year where three players were on track to break Roger Maris' single season home run record. McGwire, Sosa and Griffey were all batting very well that year and it was an incredible chase, I remember watching when Mark broke the record as I was a big fan, WAS is the keyword here. I can not follow or admire anyone that was/is under the influence of drugs to help them make their game better. It's just not right, and this comes at a horrible time for the MLB who are still reeling over A-rod's and Bonds drug case. I just don't understand why he didn't come out at the time when there was the steriod scandal in the late 90's. Why now?

After accepting the a coaching role at the Cardinals as the hitting coach, Mark admitted to using steriods. "I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era." It's so disappointing and now makes you wonder how many records that have been broken are for real or drug induced? It's a pity that these records will have an asterisk next to it. Sports stars get paid too much money, stop being greedy and start acting as role models for your fans.

This won't blow over quickly and I'm sure will tarnish the MLB season this year. This is a shame but something must be done about drug use in the sport, there are too many cases and noone is getting caught.

2 comments:

  1. On the other hand, there are those inspiring sports people who compete drug-free, for the love of the game, and they're the ones we should turn to for inspiration and look up to!

    ReplyDelete